Further Refinements

phobos_eng_17

The impulse deck of Phobos’s main engineering got a few further refinements this weekend.

phobos_eng_14

I added a bulkhead along the length of the impulse deck as well as some new ceiling lights.  This new bulkhead effectively cut the compartment to 2/3  its previous width.  With the layout I’m using, a large portion of this upper deck behind the new wall is slightly raised, due to the placement of the gargantuan fuel tank visible from the ship’s exterior.  I figured this would be the perfect place to put some nice jefferies tubes or some other type of internal access, with pipes and greeblies.  Here it is visible as a mere “shelf” with a minimal walkway in front of it.

phobos_eng_18

The hexagonal grille and passage way openings were inspired by some ideas from the unused engineering set for Star Trek: Phase Two, and from the final filming set for The Motion PicturePhase Two was a lot more like The Original Series in its design aesthetic than from the movie it evolved into, and  I liked how the grille work harkened back to TOS.  Though some grille work survived the transformation this particular element was lost to “the TV-series-that-never-was.”

For this newly enclosed maintenance area, I’ve even thought of using something similar to STV: The Final Frontier‘s sparse engineering sets, perhaps with less emphasis on the “TNG-esque” aesthetic.

thefinalfrontier0715

Moving along…

phobos_eng_16

As the wall design progressed, I had to relocate some items and fit some stand in consoles.   I eventually added another separation bulkhead next to the pylon intermix shaft that shoots up through the port side deck.  You can see that new partition here.

phobos_eng_19

I may put a separate room there.  Don’t know yet.

I also added some rails around the gaping hole in the floor, some support beams, and finally replaced the entry door frame with the more accurate version I placed in the Miranda cargo bay.  View from a little further back…

phobos_eng_20

And lastly, I tinkered with the diffuse texure settings of the upper plasma dome at the center of the impulse engine’s toroid.  I think I overdid it.

phobos_eng_15

This took 7 hours to render (luckily I was asleep), but I am not happy with the final results.  At least you can actually see the individual elements now, but it looks totally bizarre.

Advertisements

~ by starstation on May 4, 2009.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: