Fickle Adjustments

Model Detail and Lighting Experiment

This cargo bay is meant to be seen from outside Star Station India, so I have intentionally tried to keep the polygon count to a minimum. Recognizing this frugal necessity I’ve had to adjust my mindset to allow for any low poly rendering, but my fatalistic need to fix “the little things” made me experiment on a few items for possible close-up shots like this.

New with recessed containers

The stored cargo pods are newly modeled, though stenciled directly from my previously modeled storage containers currently scattered about the landing deck. I kept the points and thus the polygon count to a minimum and only bothered modeling their end caps (with exception of that single partially extracted unit which has special privilege 😉 ). Essentially all the stored cargo pods in this interior are medallion-like facades. Star Trek: The Motion Picture’s fully realized set of this cargo storage method had the fully nestled containers recessed into the walls.  Given the secondary nature of this interior, I wasn’t trying to duplicate this too precisely.  The walls are otherwise flat since creating individual pockets for all those stored units would rack up the polygons fairly quickly.  Unfortunately in the recent close-ups I’ve rendered, the facade nature is revealed all too well with the lighting and render settings.  I decided to indent six of the wall spaces near the end of the bay (only three of which are visible here) and try the render again.

Original with top facades

I also tweaked some of the render settings and played with the post render exposures in an attempt to reduce the blinding glare on some surfaces and remove some blotchy lighting effects due to global illumination, but that will take more experimentation.    The blue hue of some glowing surfaces pleased me, but the overall image is much too dark.  This is lost at higher intensities and exposures, so I might have to darken the blue glows some.  Exposure settings can be an amazing tool, but they can only go so far.  Sometimes they leave things looking washed out.  Adjusting the minimum and maximum pixel spacing in the global settings helped reduce some distant blotchies, but ramped up the render time 2 hours.  Oh well.

Global illumination set to lower intensity with unaltered exposure

Altered exposures with marginal results

I eventually discovered some of my surface settings were a little primitive, as the majority of the cargo pod surface was in a default state and had no specularity whatsoever.  I changed it up, and altered the diffuse settings in an attempt to make it appear more metallic looking.  That final result can be seen in the image at the top of the page.  A noticeable difference, but the glare is still a little distracting.

Advertisements

~ by starstation on May 11, 2011.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: