Completing The Circuit

Workbee stowage gains access

New view of the stowage clamp from atop the new platform.  Spotlights still need some work.

Now that I have the corridor and the entrance doors in place, I decided to get to work on that side of the workbee stowage bay which I never fully envisioned.

My original renders seemed rather spacious, and I always insisted on incorporating the narrow airlock doors from Star Trek: The Motion Picture into this bay.  The workbee stowage bay was modeled long before I’d worked out how the ship’s main deck would eventually be laid out.  As those plans fell into place however, I knew several changes would have to be implemented.

Here’s an original render:

The original and only envisioned angle until now.  Some necessary changes have had to be implemented.

During the original modeling I based everything, including this bay, on deck plans from the source material, Ships of the Star Fleet: Akyazi-Class Perimeter Action Ships by Todd Guenther.  I would eventually veer further and further away from the source material as I began to lay out plans for a more customized ship.  At first, with no plans in place, this allowed for a bit more wiggle room (to the far right in the above image) since there was no interference from corridors on the either side of the bay’s bulkheads.  I had so little solid plans that I never actually completed 2 of the 4 presumed bulkheads.  It was really just a ‘corner’ set piece.

As more ideas came to me and newer plans gelled, I eventually decided the loading bay needed a docking ring and that the two bays should be connected in some way.  I also chose to maintain a longer corridor toward the saucer’s core since I had altered so many other areas and the walk-around it created was simply too inefficient.

Proposed path of new corridor section which sheers a chunk of the bay.

Recently completing McCook’s version of that corridor, the new pathway cut the size of the workbee bay down considerably and the narrow airlock door I prized had to be relocated.  The corridor project also gave me the opportunity to line up key elements from two different models (both of the bays) which were initially constructed without much thought for each other, except for that of a wide clearance for the freedom to model independently.

Once I determined that the docking ring in the loading bay should be level with the main deck, I knew I had to have a corridor entrance near that location.  I then had to decide if I wanted those access points to be part of a separate airlock or open to the bay itself.  I liked the idea of a raised platform open to the rest of the bay.

The platform is now in place and the bay is now fully enclosed by 4 bulkheads.  The doors to the corridor can be seen to the far left, and the docking ring doors in the center access the cargo loading bay.  I’m still mulling over how and where the stairs down from the platform will be realized.

The platform. No stairs or rails yet, but the individual doors are now in place.

Update: Fixed some hard spotlight issues.

Here you can see where I relocated the narrow doors, raised atop the platform to the far right.  It now accesses an operational maintenance area that runs along the exterior hull created by the saucer’s forward ‘cut-out’ section.

The narrow airlock door has been moved to the upper platform, providing another access point.

All of these new test images have some issues as I am working out the new lighting rig, but all of the major structures are now in place.  Now I just need stairs or an angled ladder, some type of safety rails, and then the greebles can flow. 😀  I might even want some sort of workspace with a bench along the lower section of the corridor bulkhead for general maintenance of the workbee.  How and where that goes will be dependent on the final resolution of any stairs though.

Flawed update (Fixed narrow light panels)

Minor update:  Fixed the spotlight problem, but accidentally killed some diffuse settings to the narrow light panels on the walls.  The entire image was ghastly bright and needed exposure adjustments, but the light ‘slits’ were not salvageable.  I’m not sure what happened to those cool blurred-reflection surfaces either.  I may have killed that several years ago to speed up render times.  I’ll have it fixed 4 1/2 hours after I get home I suppose. 😀

Advertisements

~ by starstation on July 18, 2012.

4 Responses to “Completing The Circuit”

  1. No hand rails? where’s Osha?? 🙂

    Glad to see you come back to this! looking great!

    • Thanks.

      Heh, yeah. Severe fines there for the lack of handrails (not to mention stairs 😉 )

  2. where does that angled door by the console and workbee lead?

    • Well, if you’re referring to the angled box shape right next to the console, that is actually an open styled storage cubby for spacesuits, based on the Star Trek: The Motion Picture scene where Spock steals a thruster suit and exits the ship to investigate V’Ger. There were several visible in that movie set, and there appears to be at least one in the source material deck plans I reference for this project. I have yet to master the organic modeling of humanoid shapes or their space suits. 😉

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: