Bridge Module…

Declared complete.

Refinements progress.

Abbe_025bBridge modeling done (grain of salt-no promises).

I finally got my most nagging bridge module issues fixed, so I declared a moratorium (temporarily at least) on further bridge modeling.

Abbe_026aBridge’s side panel finally agrees with me.

The side panels were hardest to nail down, as I kept getting smoothing errors in the larger one due to the increasing curvature of the baseline hull underneath it, from which it derived. To avoid the errors entirely, I attempted a minor cheat; I flattened out that specific panel a bit, but it stuck out way too much along the aftmost edge and simply never looked right with the gargantuan shadows it cast. So, last night I tackled it in earnest. Took a good bit of beveling, welding, and deletion of extraneous polygons, but I am fully satisfied with it now.

As for other details, I was happy to get in some extra minor line-detailing, and to add all the little grille like wedges resting in the corners of each of those light alcoves situated along the base of the bridge module. This feature on the actual movie model has some sort of strange squiqqle-Z detailing at the bottom of the individual wedges, but it is such a minimal attribute, I didn’t feel indebted to reproduce it here.

Abbe_024aRunning light errors corrected with a single render setting.

There were some small errors I noticed with my running lights which I was able to correct just by activating the refraction setting on the renderer. On the Ranger class model, I had experimented with entirely faking those lighthouse-like Fresnel ripples of all my running lights, rather than modeling them as I had on the Akyazi. I was pleased enough with the results that I copy/pasted them directly to the Abbe model (among other features). However, I noticed over the past few renders that things didn’t look as good as I remembered on the Strider and Mustang images. A simple check of the settings cleared that up, and I can now see a great deal more of the lights’ outer casings, which were, previously, almost entirely and simplistically transparent.

Abbe_023aRings are now for real (in an entirely simulated sorta way).

I chose to take the deflector rings along the outer rim of the saucer and replace their smooth, UV-bump-map surfaced polygons with fully modeled grooves. I am much happier with the results, as so many of the weird light/shadow errors (all of them really) are now gone. New issues have cropped up naturally, but all is manageable and this should do for now. Unfortunately, I will probably have to redo the center ring yet again. In movie model references I noticed the central ring has four distinct “ribs” as compared to the upper and lower versions, which sport only three each. Of course this was because, on the movie model, the central ring is actually a slight bit wider than the other two. Mine is actually the tiniest fraction more narrow (which probably means my windows are slightly too big… too bad). All this aside (I’m not redoing my windows) I chose to try and squeeze the four ribs in anyway. Mistake. From a distance they simply looked needlessly crammed in there rather than giving the impression they are in any way sound in continuity.

Standard Update Angles

(Same pigs, fresh lipstick).

In addtion to all that, I did more of the simple greeble implants, added some new view ports, tweaked some more hull surface options, and I put in the last of the major hull lines, most notably those on the aft portion of the secondary hull which holds up the weapons pod. This required a minor shortening of the nacelle pylons, but I really like the final look. Also, the weapons pod itself now has a sort of socket fitting where it joins up with the secondary hull, filling in that tiny but noticeable gap I discovered the other day.

Abbe_014n

Abbe_016i2

Abbe_017i

Abbe_018b

Abbe_015i

Abbe_020d

Abbe_021f1

Abbe_019f1

Advertisements

~ by starstation on February 9, 2014.

3 Responses to “Bridge Module…”

  1. Great work on the bridge. That seems to me like a difficult bit to get right, given all of the subtle shape variations.

    • Thanks. Yeah, the more organic anything is, the harder a time I have with it. This wasn’t so very bad, but annoying as heck. But I did actually learn a thing or two when I was doing the more square panels on the front of the upper mound area. A technique I’d chosen to avoid, due to some unwanted effects, turned out to be the best option. Just required an extra bit of clean up. đŸ™‚

  2. She’s looking just fine. Bridge area looks good.:)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: