More Texture Experiments

Nacelles & secondary hull elements get some color.

Abbe_019g1Some angles just help better than others.

The ventral portion of the saucer section shall be considerably more time-consuming to texture than the upper half (my own fault) and my computer is starting to get crash quirky again. Looks like I may need a new computer in the very near future. I look forward to seeing some tax refund this year, so I’ll have to see how that turns out. So in the interim, I’ve entered the earliest test phases for the nacelle textures, and I added some more texture variations to the secondary hull, especially around the torpedo support pylon.  Sadly, a lot of it is so subtle (minimal variations in color, specularity, and gloss), I’ve been having a hard time getting any of it to show up without harsh lighting angles and significant post render adjustments.

Abbe_016k1Post render touch ups have been more a must for these experiments.

The textures at the forward end of the nacelles are pretty much how I want it, but the far aft section is currently temp textured until I can come up with something more accurate in regard to my reference images. Most importantly, the patterns are incredibly simplistic (which tend to suffice elsewhere) and are sort of angled in the wrong direction.

Abbe_023f3On this one, I sort of overdid the color saturation adjustment in post-render. A bit.

Abbe_018d3Aft end of nacelles are still stand-in textures and seem exceptionally simple, while breakdown of monotony on the torpedo pod’s pylon continues.

Advertisements

~ by starstation on March 3, 2014.

3 Responses to “More Texture Experiments”

  1. That’s looking good so far.

    What are you doing when your system crashes?

    • “That’s looking good so far.”

      Thanks! πŸ™‚

      “What are you doing when your system crashes?”

      Sighing readily. 😦

      It happened twice the other day after I’d made some significant model changes and then went to Layout for the render. I learned long ago that I have to kill Modeler, close out Lightwave entirely, and start Layout from scratch, if I want to get anything done. Once upon a time I was able to tinker with them both simultaneously, making adjustments to the model and rendering immediately to check the results, but that eventually overdid my processors as my computer got older.

      I was able to get these few renders off the other day and after the first crash and letting the machine cool down a bit, I was able to do some of the post render adjustments before another crash.

      I just need a new machine at this stage. It’s just a Mac mini, but it impressed the heck out me for the first few years.

      • Ah, gotcha. Sometimes, you can narrow it down to the specific component and you can save money by just replacing that component. However, it definitely sounds like an overtaxed processor, and you usually have to replace the entire motherboard to replace those because chip sockets change fairly quickly. Plus, it’s a Mac and I know those are harder to get parts for, especially one with a smaller case, like a mini. So, I’d definitely agree that a new computer is called for. πŸ˜‰

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: